PNG to BMP converter
OnlineConvertFree converts your images for free. Convert your png to bmp online with no software to install.
How to convert png to bmp?
Convert png to bmp
Download your bmp-file
What is PNG?
PNG (Portable Network Graphics) is an image file format that was developed to replace GIF (Graphics Interchange Format). It offers a clear, partially transparent image and supports lossless data compression. PNG files are primarily used for web design and use LZW compression instead of the DCT compression used by JPEG images. The files also support palette-based, non-palette based, and grayscale images. The image format was developed by PNG Development group back in 1996 and later donated to W3C.
What is BMP?
BMP (Bitmap Image File) was developed by Microsoft Corporation to store bitmap digital images and is widely used on Windows OS. The format supports alpha channels, color profiles, color depths, and optimal data compression. Because they support a large number of colors, BMP images are often larger than PNG. However, users can shrink the pixel data with compression and expand it back when necessary. BMP formats are also device independent and compatible with all major editing software, including CorelDraw.
Reasons to convert
There are various reasons to convert PNG to BMP. Both formats are lossless, but PNG is compressed, while BMP is uncompressed and stores more data. Here’s why you may consider converting PNG to BMP.
- Compatibility – BMP files are compatible with all devices and major editing software, which isn’t the case for PNG formats
- Versatility – BMP supports alpha channels, various color depths and profiles, and optimal compression, making them quite versatile.
How to convert PNG to BMP online using OnlineConvertFree
There are various ways to convert PNG to BMP but free online converters like onlineconvertfree.com offer the simplest procedures. Here’s how to change PNG to BMP using the free converter.
- Launch Image Converter – Open onlineconvertfree.com and hover your cursor on ‘Convert to’ from the main navigation. Next, select ‘Images converter’ from the drop-down list to launch the image converter.
- Upload File – Click on ‘CHOOSE FILE’ in the window that appears and select the PNG file you want to convert. You can also drag and drop the file on the blue space.
- Convert Image – Click on the arrow next to the word ‘to’ and pick the BMP format. If it is not available, use the search bar to find it then click on convert.
- Download Image - Once the conversion process is finished, you can download your BMP file. The conversion takes a few seconds depending on the size of the image.
Benefits of using OnlineConvertFree for PNG to BMP conversion
There are many benefits of using onlineconvertfree.com to convert PNG to BMP. The platform supports a wide range of formats and is very easy to use. Here are some reasons to use the converter.
- Free Service – The website allows you to change PNG to BMP and achieve various other conversions without paying anything.
- Swift Conversion – You can convert many image files within a matter of seconds as the process is swift.
- Easy Process – The platform offers a simple process that involves uploading a file, converting and downloading.
- Online Service – You don’t have to install anything on your device. You can convert files on PC or mobile, directly on your browser.
How to convert PNG to BMP offline on Windows
You can achieve PNG to BMP file conversions offline on Windows. The process is effortless, but you need to have the Paint application. Here are the steps needed to change a PNG file to BMP.
- Open Paint – Use the search tab to find the Paint application on windows, or click on start and select the application from the list provided.
- Open Image – Once on Paint, click on FILE then OPEN and find the PNG image you want to convert. You can also use the shortcut CTRL + O.
- Save As BMP – When the file is open on Paint, click on FILE then the SAVE AS button. Next, select BMP Picture and save. The new file will be saved in BMP format.
How to convert PNG to BMP offline on Mac
You can achieve PNG to BMP conversions on Mac and the process is as simple as using the paint application on Windows. Here are all the steps required on Mac OS.
- Open Preview – Find the Preview application from the dock and launch it. You can also use the Finder to locate Preview app.
- Open Image – On Preview, click on FILE then OPEN to select the image you want to convert. You can also right click the image and open it using Preview.
- Export to BMP – Click on FILE then SAVE AS. If you are using the older Mac, click on EXPORT. Next, select Microsoft BMP from the FORMAT dropdown and save/export the file as BMP.
Converting png to bmp
Portable Network Graphics
🔵 Apple Preview
🔵 Microsoft Windows Photos
🔵 Adobe Photoshop CC
🔵 Corel Paint Shop Pro
🔵 Microsoft Windows Photo Gallery Viewer
|Main program||🔵 Microsoft Paint|
|Description||🔵 PNG – is a scan-line graphic format developed as an alternative to GIF, a commercial license. However, they are both raster image types. PNG is based on the best features of the predecessor, including lossless compression and transparent background support. The PNG technology ensures the preservation of all stages of editing and the restoration of the step by preserving the quality. However, it does not allow us to save several pictures in one file at once, limiting its use in the development of animated images.|
|Technical details||🔵 The PNG extension was proposed as a tool that helps to transfer and store images on the World Wide Web. The technology is limited to an 8-bit transparency channel so that you can adjust the colors from opaque to transparent. It supports 24-bit RGB colors, matching images, and shades of gray. However, as a non-professional format, PNG can not display other color spaces. Most programs allow you to open such files. They can also run in any browser. Images are different in small weight with good quality.|
|Developer||🔵 PNG Development Group (donated to W3C)|
Microsoft Windows bitmap
🔵 Adobe Photoshop
🔵 Microsoft Photo Editor
|Main program||🔵 MS Paint|
|Description||🔵 BMP – is a popular bitmap file format for storing the scan-line files, presented by Microsoft experts. It is designed exclusively for single-layered scan-lines. Such files are able to have several extensions: .rle, .dib, .bmp. With the built-in support in Windows OS / 2, the extension is seamlessly opened by various applications.|
|Technical details||🔵 The image is placed with the DIB extension, which implies the ability to determine the pixel's hue in a form that is not related to the color display method. As a result, Windows OS can display a scan-line image on any display device. The BMP files are larger because they contain an uncompressed image.|